Shot putter Saunders could face IOC action after Tokyo Olympics podium demonstration

To optimise for archiving, the original image and related documents associated with this article have been removed.

American shot putter Raven Saunders became the first athlete to demonstrate on the podium at the Tokyo Olympics when she formed an X with her arms above her head after collecting her silver medal.

Saunders told the Associated Press that the gesture represents “the intersection of where all people who are oppressed meet.” IOC Rule 50 governs athlete protests and demonstrations and whilst rules have been partially relaxed it has been stressed that any demonstrations on the podium are off limits.

IOC Presidential spokesperson Mark Adams said that the demonstration by Saunders was being looked in to however the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee has already confirmed that it will not punish Saunders for the action. The IOC said that incidents will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis and athletes could be sanctioned for demonstrations, however there has not been any guidance provided on how severe sanctions could be.

Only last week, Independent German elite athlete group criticized protest rules at Tokyo Games for not being transparent.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) relaxed its Rule 50, which forbids athletes from any form of protest at the Games, shortly before the Tokyo Olympics started last Friday.  

It now does allow athletes to make gestures on the field of play provided they do so without disruption and with respect for fellow competitors and as long as it is not on the podium during the medal ceremony. However, any statement or protest, requires the approval of a working group that includes among other the IOC and the international federation of the sport in question.

You may also like

View All

Company behind Enhanced Games loses nearly $62 million

The company behind the Enhanced Games has reportedly lost nearly $62 million after its main event debuted in May

Read More

Former ADE player sues AFL and Fox Sports after he was indecently exposed on live television

Former Adelaide Crows player, Ricky Henderson, is suing the Australian Football League and Fox Sports for over $1.2 million after he was indecently exposed on live television in 2013

Read More

Premier League to allow the broadcast of on-field conversations between players and referees and the publication of full judgements made by its panel and of explanations direct from officials

As part of a trial, the Premier League will allow the broadcast of on-field conversations between players and referees. It will also publish the full judgements made by its Key Match Incidents panel, as well as explanations provided direct from the officials themselves

Read More