The Road to Tokyo 2020 (2021) - How to Manage Athlete Selection
Sport Resolutions (SR) in association with 4 New Square and the British Athletes Commission (BAC) will be hosting a webinar on athlete selection. The webinar will focus on the elements required for an effective selection process, and cover guidance on how to achieve and deliver a fair process, as well as considerations in drafting an athlete selection policy and running a selection appeal procedure. The seminar will also consider the issues arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic and the uncertainty this casts on existing and future selection procedures including in relation to the postponed Tokyo Games.
The event is free of charge and will take place between 11:00am and 12:15pm on Friday 12th June.
There will be an opportunity to ask questions using Zoom’s Q&A.
Please register using the link here.
At the end of the course the attendees will be better able to:
- Understand the selection process framework including appeals
- Understand the application of both subjective and objective selection criteria
- Identify and avoid common mistakes in the selection process
- Run an effective selection meeting and improve communication amongst the parties involved
- Understand the concept of bias, both real and perceived, and how to manage it
- Understand the need for and role of independent observers
- Understand and respect the athlete perspective
- Address the impact of COVID-19 on selection
Who should attend?
- National Governing Bodies (NGBs)
- Professionals involved in the process of selecting athletes for major competitions such as chief executives, performance managers and directors, head coaches, athletes, athlete representatives, selection panel members, in-house lawyers, lawyers in private practice, arbitrators and interested academics