Please view the recording of our webinar here.
Sport Resolutions will be hosting its first ever webinar, titled “State aid in sport and Covid-19”, in association with 39 Essex Chambers. Barristers Fenella Morris QC and Kelly Stricklin-Coutinho will be delivering the webinar covering:
- Introduction to state aid law
- How it impacts sports teams/venues (e.g. the Wasps case, joint ventures between local authorities and sports organisations, local authorities developing land for sporting uses, and having a financial interest in sports organisations or facilities)
- State aid rules on central government bail outs and how they might apply in the sports context
- What central and local government is permitted to do within the State aid rules
- Big schemes the government could be asked to consider (e.g. other countries have specific bail outs for cancelled events, or cultural events)
The webinar is free of charge and will take place between 14:30 and 16:00 on Wednesday 6th May.
There will be an opportunity to ask questions using Zoom’s Q&A.
Please register using the link here.
Fenella Morris QC
Fenella Morris QC is a leading advocate with a practice that encompasses public law and human rights, and every aspect of regulation and professional discipline. She has been named by a legal directory as a Star of the Bar and appeared in many landmark cases before the Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights.
Her professional interest in sport includes advising on its role in regeneration projects, and she appeared in the litigation concerning the Ricoh Arena in Coventry, Coventry City FC and Wasps where the courts considered the application of the State aid rules to the funding of a sports arena. She has extensive experience of regulatory and safeguarding work in a wide range of contexts including sport.
Fenella has recently been elected a Master of the Bench of Middle Temple; her work there focuses on mentoring those entering the profession from what are termed non-traditional backgrounds.
Fenella is also a member of the Sport Resolutions’ Panel of Arbitrators and Mediators.
Kelly’s practice centres around commercial disputes, EU law and tax law, involving litigation at every level of English Court, specialist tribunals, arbitral tribunals and the CJEU.
Her clients include multinationals, FTSE 100 and 250 companies, central and local government, charities and SMEs.
Kelly is ranked in the Legal 500 guide and the Chambers & Partners guide, and International Tax Review’s Tax Controversy Leaders and Women in Tax guides.
Kelly’s sports work includes: :
- Acting for Wasps in the litigation concerning the Ricoh Arena in Coventry, R (on the application of Sky Blue Sports & Ors) v Coventry City Council & Ors , in respect of alleged state aid to Wasps, led by Fenella Morris QC, and in the subsequent complaint to the European Commission
- A dispute concerning a major sporting venue in respect of allegations of prohibited state aid and in respect of alleged breaches of procurement law
- High Net Worth Individuals, including sports people, in respect of a range of tax, property and commercial matters
- Sports clubs in VAT litigation.