Sport Resolutions will be hosting a seminar on how to investigate safeguarding concerns in sport on Thursday 12th March 2020 at 1 Salisbury Square in London. Former police officer and Sport Resolutions National Safeguarding Panel member Carol Chamberlain and Safeguarding Today’s director Jennie Smith will be delivering the seminar. The seminar is aiming to raise awareness and increase knowledge around safeguarding investigations in sport, with a particular focus on the interview techniques.
This will be a full day training which will take place between 10:00 and 16:30 at our offices in London. Buffet sandwich lunch and soft drinks will be provided on the day.
At the end of the course the attendees will have learned more about:
- Responding to initial complaints and concerns and making initial inquiries without prejudicing a subsequent investigation
- Referring the matter to statutory services or instigating an independent investigation
- Explaining what evidence and information may be gathered in order to assist in establishing the facts of an allegation
- How witnesses are identified and the steps that should be taken before interviewing them
- Sharing best practice for interviewing witnesses, in particular children
- How police investigation and child protection enquires are conducted and how they link into sport
09:45 – 10:00 Registration
10:00 – 11:30 The Process of Investigation
11:30 – 11:45 Coffee break
11:45 – 13:00 What is Evidence?
13:00 – 13:45 Lunch
13:45 - 15:00 Interviewing Witnesses, including Children
15:00 - 15:15 Coffee Break
15.15 - 16:15 Case Study
16:15 - 16:30 Q&A
Who should attend?
- Any person with a role in undertaking investigations within a sport environment
- Welfare and safeguarding officers of National Governing Bodies
- Welfare and safeguarding officers of Sporting Clubs
- Safeguarding officers of youth groups, community sport partnerships etc.
- Investigators who would like to refresh their interview techniques
- Other individuals working in sport who may be required to respond to safeguarding complaints and concerns
Please visit our event page here to view speakers' biographies.