- Sport: Rugby Union
- Issue: Arbitration
- Type: Regulation & Governance
- Tribunal: Rt Hon Lord Dyson, Aidan Robertson QC, Jeremy Summers
- Decision date: 04 November 2019
- Outcome: Point deduction and fine
An independent disciplinary panel, appointed by Sport Resolutions, has reached a decision in respect of charges brought against Saracens Rugby Club for alleged breaches of the Premiership Rugby Salary Cap Regulations.
- Following a nine-month investigation by Premiership Rugby, the charges were brought in June 2019, which relate to the seasons 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19.
- An Independent Disciplinary Panel was appointed by Sport Resolutions consisting of Rt Hon Lord Dyson, Aidan Robertson QC, and Jeremy Summers to hear and determine the charges against Saracens and administered the matter pursuant to Premiership Rugby’s Salary Cap Regulations.
- The hearing was conducted over five days in late September and early October 2019.
Saracens Rugby Club failed to disclose payments to players in each of the seasons 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19. The Club is also found to have exceeded the ceiling for payments to senior players in each of these seasons.
The sanction that has been imposed on Saracens Rugby Club by the Panel is:
- a total fine of £5,360,272.31 for the three Salary Cap Years (SCYs).
- and a total deduction of 35 league points for the SCYs of 2016/17 and 2018/19
Please click here to view the PRL’s statement.